Friday, April 13, 2012

Hardship makes your life more meaningful

Sometimes, my job fulls with interviewing new lecturers. For example, i have interviewed almost 10 lecturers for this new semester (March 2012). I still remember when I was first time been assigned as the program coordinator for English, i was clueless about my job scope. In fact, my previous boss did not give me a clear description on my KPI. I took the challenge at that time because firstly, i love to challenge myself and secondly I knew at that particular time I was the most suitable person for that position. 2 other colleagues at that time were too green and the other one was so problematic. I don't say that I am good enough but due to experience that I have and the trust given by my boss at that time, there was no reason why I should decline the offer.

And 2012 is my second year as the coordinator. From 3 lecturers with numbers of major issues at that time, now, my English team can always be proud with our works and products. Till now, we have recruited 15 English lecturers / tutors who are so dedicated with their works and most of them were being interviewed by me. In fact, we have won the 'best project' award from the company's Staff Excellence Award 2011. We received rm1000 and a certificate for our baby project 'GLISH Competition'. I am so lucky to have such a teamwork. Now, our boss and President of Academic have always put their trust on us. But of course, being human, there is always an issue, but I usually take it as norms in enhancing career. When my lecturers try to raise some issues regarding personal dissatisfaction towards other individuals, i usually advise them to confront and try to settle it without involving our big boss. I believe good communication is the best solution.

Anyway, I would like to share a story about one of the interview sessions that I had on last two weeks. I was having two candidates on that afternoon accompanied by one of our program managers, Kak Hana. My subject of interest would be the first interviewee. Before the interview, I was so impressed with her CV. She just graduated in MESL (master in ESL), with 3.89 cgpa from one of the IPTAs! I told kak Hana, "She must be very good. It's not easy to achieve that cgpa for MESL". Then, when she entered the room, I can see that she is very young, fresh grad. I asked her to proceed with a mock teaching without wasting time.

Surprisingly, she failed it. Her proficiency level was not good enough. I do not know whether she is nervous or what, but she ruined it. She seemed unprepared with her lesson. She taught grammar but I can see that she tried her best to memorize her points when it was just a simple present tense. To test her a lil bit, I interrupted her by asking a question about that tense. And again, she gave me the wrong answer. It also came to my surprise when she did her mock teaching, she did not use the white board or any visual aids! She just talked very closely towards Kak Hana and I, which I felt it was inappropriate. Then, for the interview session, I was so shocked and almost got a headache with her language. I do not claim myself being very good in this second language but believe me, i would rather say my non-TESL student could speak better that her. Her speech filled with fillers, grammar errors and sometimes, did not get the questions by us. I was so frustrated.

I was desperately in need for a good lecturer and looking at her cgpa, I had my big wonder. How did she present her papers, research during master's class? How did she nail in exams? How did she pass her papers? and of course, how did she manage to get that cgpa? I did have a look at her essay and still, her language is beyond average. I got to know that she comes from a wealthy family. I just hope...just really hope she didn't 'buy' her master's scroll. Because I've struggled so much for my master, almost 4 years...ups and down..crying, almost falling, to complete it. And with that proficiency, u managed to obtain 3.89? Please don't give me nonsense. And of course she did not success for the interview. To the girl, i do not know what u have been through before, but please do something. At least, make people believe that u are the owner of that master's scroll.

No comments:

Post a Comment