Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Home Made Dim Sum

Assalam...I was browsing around my pictures' folder just now and found these how-to-make-dim-sum photos. This was way back then when my mom came to my house, paying a visit and accompanying me taking care of my sons who were affected by HFMD, at that time. I think it was in the early of this year. I love my mom and she is super genius when it comes to cooking. Just with one taste, she will know how to cook any particular dish requested by us. My mom and of course my sis, Mira are big fans of Korean series. So, dim sum is a common dish that we can see in the series- where the actors and actresses eat and enjoy their dim sum. My sis felt tempted to taste it so she asked my parents to get her dim sum in Kuantan. They managed to find it and love the taste. Like a magic, with one attempt, my mom successfully made her own version of dim sum, deliciously! Of course, she did refer to Mr Google's recipe as a guideline. Thus, when she was preparing dim sum at my house, I found it very interesting and took pictures of the steps and posted them to Instagram. Then, I received feedback from my friends, asking about the recipe. Now, I remember that I have not given them the recipe yet and indeed, I guess Instagram is not the right place to post a recipe! So, here, today, I would like to share my mom's recipe of Dim Sum.

Ingredients:

The filling:
~500g mincemeat
~ 1/3 cup green shallots, finely chopped
~ 1 tbsp. soy sauce
~ 2 tsp. cooking oil
~ 2 tsp. fine raw sugar
~ 3 tsp. cornstarch
~ 1 egg, lightly beaten
  ~ Soy Sauce for dipping

The home made wrapper:
 - 500g plain flour
- 1 cup slightly warm water
- 1 tsp oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
-1 oz coloring paste- green
Yields about 800g of dough

Recipe of wrapper:
 1. Add salt and oil to the warm water. Stir till the salt has dissolved completely.

2. In a deep bowl, pour in plain flour. Add the warm water mixture slowly and stir. Add 1 oz of green coloring-paste into the mixture. Add a little water each time so that you can judge how wet or dry the dough is. Stop when it looks slightly sticky. Just continue stirring (or using your hands when it gets too sticky) till the dough comes together in a large, clumpy ball.

3. Pre heat a pan and start kneading. Knead the each ball onto the pan. You will notice that the dough no longer looks as lumpy and dry. As you knead, it will become elastic and shiny.

5. The dough is ready to be rolled into wrappers as soon as it is smooth and pliable.

Recipe of dim sum:
1. Place the mincemeat, shallots, soy sauce, oil, sugar and egg into a large bowl and combine with hands or spoon.
2. Add in the cornstarch and mix until it incorporated with other ingredients.
3. Spread out Dim Sum wrappers on a clean surface. Add a tsp. of the filling to each wrapper.
4. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of the wrapper lightly with water.
5. Bring the sides of the wrappers together with the filling in the middle and pinch together so the filling is hidden inside. 
6. Steam over lightly bubbling water for 5-7 minutes until the Dim Sum go slightly transparent and are cooked through.
7. You can serve the dim sum with soy sauce or as simple as chili sauce!


the mincemeat filling together with the green shallots


added with cornstarch

Add green coloring-paste if you like more colors on it.

Knead the small balls of dough onto a frying pan.

the look of the wrappers.

ok. this step requires creativity and talent!

tadaaaaa! cantik and tempting kan...

my mom's delicious homemade dim sum.

Happy trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment